Sewing machines are not easy to come by and in most times costs you quite amount of money to acquire. To prolong its life line you have to take your precious time and care for it. Here are some of the sewing machine maintenance tips that you have to adhere to give your sewing machine sustenance.
1) Cleaning the machine regularly- before cleaning your sewing machine you have to unplug the sewing machine from the power source to avoid any unnecessary injuries. Take your time using the lint brush or a soft brush and clean areas vulnerable to dust and lint like the dogs and the bobbin case. Use compressed air to blow away any left debris taking note that you never blow it towards the sewing machine.
2) Oil your sewing machine regularly after cleaning it. Use the guidance of your operational manual and apply the oil on the designated spots. Then turn the hard wheel to distribute the oil even in the sewing machine. Wipe away any over spilled oil. After that sew on unused patch of garment for a minute to remove any extra oil.
3) Make sure your change your needles more often. This helps to keep your sewing machine working properly and prevents your good fabric from being ruined.
4) Keep check on your screws. When you are sewing at a high speed some screws tend to loosen up which may bring damage to your expensive sewing machine. Go through all of them and make sure that they are tightly screwed.
5) Wind your bobbins correctly. Always make sure that there are no hanging tail threads when you insert a bobbin into its case. These tails can cause jams and result to breaking of the upper thread. The other thing is to always make sure that you use the correct bobbin for that particular sewing machine.
6) Always keep your sewing machine covered if not in use. This action prevents dust, hairs and other foreign materials from infesting your sewing machine and causing un-merited damage.
7) Always store it in a dry place to avoid rust build up. Rust can cause devastating effects on your sewing machine thus rendering it useless.
8) Finally always have your sewing machine checked by a professional every 2-3 years. This is important as he will thoroughly clean the sewing machine, but also check it for any broken parts.
Having these tips at hand, you are more than armed in making sure that sewing machine last longer.